jueves, 31 de mayo de 2012

Oh Me, Oh MAY!


May was my first full month in Bogota, and it sure was eventful…

May Day, a public holiday in Colombia (in association with International Workers Day, not the Celtic calendar holiday complete with may pole dances and baskets), traditionally sees the most violent protests in Bogota. Riot police abound. Colombia is still the most dangerous country in the world to be a trade unionist, and this is the day of the year they take to the streets in mass. I woke up that day and chose to take a long peaceful run towards the north, leaving the rest of my co-workers to participate in the protests downtown.

All sorts of groups outside of unions march in the May Day protest. One that certainly deserves mention this year is the Marcha Patriotica, which is the new emerging leftist party in Colombia. The Marcha Patriotica draws connotation to the Union Patriotica, (Fastest Colombian history lesson ever: UP was the FARC-backed communist political party during the last peace negotiations. After the negotiations, with the UP as the official political party, the government systematically killed UP members, leaders and elected officials. Peace failed. FARC returned to current military tactic.) And while rumors of peace negotiations abound in the Colombian media, there are several media reactions to this new emerging party.  1.) Why would we (the left) set ourselves up for another repetition of what happened with the UP? 2.) Is the FARC actually backing the MP (clearly in political ideology that would make sense, but as compared to the UP which was created by the FARC, the MP is a separate political party). Those on the right tend to equate the two, clearly dangerous for non-FARC members who are participating in legal leftist politics (already dangerous in Colombia, obvious by the need for our accompaniment). 3.) How will this party be different from other parties on the left?

A few things are clear: this new party mobilizes groups from outside of the capital. In their march last month, it is estimated that 80,000 participated, the grand majority travelling in from other regions and rural parts of the country. According to a conference I attended yesterday, regional leaders and organizers of the party have been killed since that march (their first mass public demonstration). For good or danger, they have certainly grabbed the nation’s attention.

Day and Tippy come to town with a full extra suitcase of North Country contraband. I am still eating fine cheese daily and thrilled about it. We bummed around the historical downtown and hit the national museum. We hiked Monseratte and went shopping. We fined dined and market shopped, caught up on the life and times and chillaxed. It was lovely.

On May 15th, the Colombian- USA Free Trade Agreement went into effect with a mid-night shipment of flowers out of Colombia’s port in Cartagena. The port, at midnight, was full of flag-waving Colombian children. As the BBC reported, The accord, signed during President George W Bush's administration, was opposed by US labor groups, who feared job losses. Many Democratic members of Congress argued that it should not be approved until they were satisfied Colombia had done enough to stop violence against union organizers. There was also opposition from Colombian trade unions, who expressed concern about whether the country was developed enough to compete. Urging Congress to ratify the deal, the Obama administration warned that further delay would cost the US jobs and the chance to boost exports.” Needless to say, after living in Guatemala straight through CAFTA implementation, my heart sank a little bit on the morning of May 15th.
And then, also on the morning of May 15th, my heart jumped. A bomb exploded about 10 blocks from our apartment, shaking northern Bogota. While questions about who was behind the bomb still go unanswered, there is no doubt that the day chosen was symbolic. As an organizer who shares our office space lamented to me a couple weeks later over lunch: “we had a whole press conference about the negative consequences of the FTA and with that bomb, it was just decided that the news wouldn’t cover the FTA at all”.
This was the first bomb attack Bogota has seen in 10 years, and perhaps challenged the recent cover of Time magazine granted to President Santos. It certainly reminded the inhabitants of the capital (if not the world over) that there is still a very real and very dirty war going on in this country. Additionally, it made all of our team question our security analysis. While we are constantly aware of bombs and combats in the war zone, the hard truth of the matter is that this particular bomb exploded closer to our home than any of the ones we heard or saw in Uraba. Eek.
In an even MORE symbolic relevance to the bomb: May 15th is International Conscientious Objectors day. With such rampant violence in this war torn country, I was thankful to have a string of meetings with the Conscientious Objector group who we accompany here in the capital. The peace movement is really the only way, says I.
We read a lot of news. A friend at Witness for Peace drew my attention to an extremely disturbing Trident gum advertisement in Colombia’s weekly political magazine, Semana. This ad has me currently writing my first personal consumer complaint letter to a corporation in years. The basic concept is that Trident gum produces healthy smiles, which, in turn, provoke other smiles. The image is two individuals hugging and smiling over trident gum. Sounds fine, until you take a closer look and see that the individuals are 1.) a US Border Patrol agent and 2.) a Latino (presumably illegal) immigrant. Apparently Trident hasn’t considered the implications of making light of the current US-Mexican border situation, but I am taking it upon myself to make them consider said implications. I read this particular issue of Semana the same week I received No More Deaths (NGO documenting Border Patrol abuses of migrants at the AZ-Mexico border) newsletter. And BAM!: Complaint letter content filled.

I have now officially and deliberately stopped reading my crisis alerts from parts of the world outside of the Americas. I feel a threshold. Guatemalan news alone breaks my heart everyday and Colombian news is a required part of my job. And that is only the tip of the Americas iceberg. Sometimes it all seems so overwhelming, even though peace seems so obvious. And then a friend sends me this uncited quote with the caption ‘why do we do the work we do?’:
“It’s impossible,” says pride.
“It’s risky,” says experience.
“It’s pointless,” says reason.
“Give it a try,” whispers the heart.

Lee comes to town! While she works for the IRC and much of our conversation ends up being political and work-related, we also got up to a good amount of shenanigans around the capital. We even took an impromptu day-trip to the  Zipaquira salt mines outside of Bogota. These salt mines have ben turned into the stations of the cross underground and are lit in psychedelic colors, making the whole scene seem like something straight out of Jesus Christ Superstar. Lee and I reveled.

Lee left a basil plant, and paired with the sprouting lavender seeds Monica sent me in her package last month, the urban garden is on the grow. In other happy capital lifestyle related news: Emily and I have been cooking from scratch. We have been dancing lots of salsa. We have been running the ciclovia, a highlight of my every week.

At work, May was full full full! There was a conference on the ongoing (and government ignored) issue of violent forced displacement, and our team’s final push to publish our Drug War Pop-Ed booklet (second in the series on “Demilitarizing Life and Land”). There were embassy meetings and accompanier’s protests and  reports to be written and urgent actions to be taken.

What a month! Protests and resistance and oppression and violence! (Not to mention research on protests and resistance and oppression and violence!) It’s not easy, sometimes, and Baker London’s album release also brought a good reminder to me this month: “when the soul needs reviving, though shall reach out for some help”. And thus I continue to reconnect with dear friends and family in far corners of the globe. It feels good and I am so thankful for my support system sending me love from afar.

The sounds of the city pump my everyday life with rhythmic noises. The traffic and horns of cars on busy streets. A man sings operetta outside of a music store, seemingly directly addressing the guitars inside the window.  Peddlers yell, vending everything from orange juice to tamales outside our windows and on my walk to work. Our (new!) pressure cooker whistles over black beans. Bikes shift gears on the Sunday ciclovia.  Blenders mix delicious passion fruit juice for my constant consumption. The sunny Bogota mornings make me wake thankful for every day and sometimes, walking home from the salsa studio late at night, I catch a glimpse of the moon over the buildings. It draws my attention and I just can’t look away. It reminds me of my close connection to nature in Uraba. I revel in patches of trees when walking cross-town and deep breathe on the top of Monseratte. The smell of grass at the Usaquen market reminds me of summer. I miss the clean air and outside lifestyle of La Union, while simultaneously feeling so much more whole now that I am in frequent communication with dear friends. And I think again about just how adaptable we are.

June has a lot in store. Next week both the Montreal jazz ballet and Lila Downs come to town (tough personal budget decisions!). By the end of next month we will have a new team member, David. With a trip home on the horizon in August, paired with the sensation that I just arrived in Bogota, I can’t help but feel like time will fly this summer.  

I have renewed my contract with FOR through March of 2013 and honestly feel there is no work I would rather be doing; there is nowhere else I would rather be.